Collapse Menu

It’s been a year since the end of the war. It’s been a year, and negotiations for peace are still being handled. Fire Lord Zuko has a lot on his plate, and there is a whisper of discontent in the air.

Amid the peace that has been hard-won, a council has been created featuring members of each of the Nations, as well as the Avatar. The goal of this National Council is simple - to prevent an atrocity like Sozin’s War from ever happening again.

Resurgence is a sandbox Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Aang role-play set one year after the end of the Hundred Year War. We accept both canons and original characters, and take the story in any direction we'd like, exploring the semantics and problems of a war-torn world rebuilding. We are rated PG-13 with optional mature content.

Resurgence

the darkness is always there first

Started by Kasang at Oct 19, 2019 6:56 pm
14 Posts

The Blinding One
Fire Nation
Played By Shemhazai

Grief is the price we pay for love.

"I did," Kasang answered, huffing a little in amusement. "He just came up and started talking to me without a care in the world, it was the strangest thing. It was almost like the first time I talked to you." Almost, not quite. That particular meeting had been a little different, but then, it was probably more the drastic difference in situation that made it seem so separate. It'd been just as memorable, though, and Yuanjun never did seem to find him intimidating.

He guessed it was hard to be afraid of the guy that'd technically just saved your life.

"He said he has a brother like me," Kasang mentioned. "I guess it makes sense." Actually, it still didn't really make sense at all. He supposed it might click a bit better after Kasang had occasion to meet this brother of his. Then he might understand how similar they were. "I thought so too. And I'm almost concerned about you not arguing with me about the fishing." At this point, Kasang just expected to get argued with all the time, about basically everything, because it seemed to happen an awful lot.

For some strange reason, though, and he really couldn't say why, but the fact he got argued with a lot didn't bother him near so much as it seemed like it should. Mostly, it was exasperating and depending on the day it might annoy him some, but he'd mostly gotten used to it by now. Maybe that was a bad thing. He should probably be more concerned about that than he was, but on the other hand, worrying about it was really just a waste of energy. He had plenty of other things to be expending the energy on.

Earth Kingdom
Played By Lenara

Blink. And Yuanjun let out a short laugh. "Well, I imagine there were some notable differences." Their first meeting had been... something. It wasn't a meeting he minded thinking about though, it had, after all, been the beginning of Yuanjun's new life. That was something that he would never forget and never would shy away from.

"Hmm. That's interesting." A brother like Kasang? "That's either a very good thing or it could be a very bad thing." And Yuanjun wasn't entirely sure which direction it was going to go, or how to take the implications behind it. But then, he hadn't met the kid himself, so it was hard to say in the end which it might be. Maybe there was no rush on being able to answer it though.

"Well, I know how you are about not spending unless you have to," Yuanjun said, not unreasonably. "I figure I can humor you and see if we can manage. If not, we can always fall back on buying something." It wasn't like he couldn't meet Kasang halfway, he just wasn't going to tolerate him skipping meals and safe places to rest entirely.

Besides, he'd only just reunited with Kasang and didn't really want to argue with him more than he had to. It wasn't really a good way to make Kasang less annoyed at being defied. Yuanjun did try to save his conflict for important things with Kasang, if only because there was only so far the other could tolerate being pushed. ... Yuan didn't like to risk pushing him even to the edge of how much he could tolerate, much less over it. It was just... better for everyone not to push Kasang.

The other man could be scary when he was pressed.

The Blinding One
Fire Nation
Played By Shemhazai

Grief is the price we pay for love.

Kasang loosed a noise that might've started to be a laugh, but didn't quite make it. Kasang hadn't really laughed since long before he'd met Yuanjun, so this wasn't anything new. Sometimes though, Kasang wondered if the weight in his chest would ever go away. Maybe not. Even if only because Kasang couldn't find it in him to forgive himself for things he didn't do, things he couldn't have changed.

"Yeah, a few differences," Kasang agreed. Yuanjun had been one of the few to be a little troublesome getting loose. Most of them, by the time the Dragons got to them, didn't really care what happened to them anymore, but this one... what was it he said? Something about not going from one master to another, was it? That seemed so long ago, but it was probably only a year or two ago. Maybe three, by now, Kasang had long ago lost track.

Kasang shrugged a shoulder. Quite honestly, he didn't expect to ever meet this brother of Takeshi's, and really didn't expect to come across Takeshi again, either. With any luck, really, Kasang would go back to Yu Dao and never have to leave again. Leaving the colonies apparently made him kind of jumpy and anxious. He'd wonder why, but, he knew why.

"Ah," Kasang said. Well, if Yuanjun was willing to compromise, Kasang would accept it. Funny though, because it was always this guy that pushed him, and always this guy Kasang tolerated pushing him. It was an odd outcome, to be sure, and he wasn't really sure what to make of it. For the most part, he ignored it. He didn't think there was any sense thinking about it too hard, because it was probably just that Kasang considered the other a friend.

"Well, I'll take it," he said. "I like not having to argue with you. ... how was the trip over?" He supposed he hadn't quite gotten around to asking that.

Earth Kingdom
Played By Lenara

Yeah, Yuanjun could imagine. It was funny, thinking back, he'd said at the time that he refused to go from one master to another. But he had in the end, hadn't he? Not that he regretted it, the Dragons were a family more than anything else. And while he did answer to Kasang, his voice was heard, too. It wasn't all one-way directions and orders, and while Kasang did get annoyed when orders weren't followed at times, consequences were usually not more than an eye roll or two.

... Yuanjun did know when not to push the other though, so there was that. It just also happened that he pushed Kasang here and there because someone had to make sure the other took care of himself. The Dragons needed him. In some ways, maybe the colonies needed him.

Yuanjun had called the Dragons home for a few years now, and he didn't regret it. He didn't regret deciding to follow Kasang.

"I imagine you do." Neither of them really liked arguing, Yuanjun had found. It just ... happened, sometimes. Maybe more than either would have preferred over things that some may have considered trivial but weren't, necessarily, in the end. If Kasang went away because he didn't take care of himself, then the rest of them... well. They would likely carry on for some time in his name. But without his help, his guidance, Yuanjun was certain they wouldn't make it very far.

And this, going to the Fire Lord with all this information. None of the rest of them would have dared.

"It was fine enough. Bit dull, but better that than something going terribly wrong." More or less. And few would bother someone of his size these days, even if he was traveling alone. That was something of a relief because it did minimize the headaches he had to deal with. Yuanjun was not going to complain about fewer of those.