Collapse Menu

It’s been a year since the end of the war. It’s been a year, and negotiations for peace are still being handled. Fire Lord Zuko has a lot on his plate, and there is a whisper of discontent in the air.

Amid the peace that has been hard-won, a council has been created featuring members of each of the Nations, as well as the Avatar. The goal of this National Council is simple - to prevent an atrocity like Sozin’s War from ever happening again.

Resurgence is a sandbox Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Aang role-play set one year after the end of the Hundred Year War. We accept both canons and original characters, and take the story in any direction we'd like, exploring the semantics and problems of a war-torn world rebuilding. We are rated PG-13 with optional mature content.

Resurgence

Powder Sky

Started by Qing at Oct 11, 2019 8:28 am
22 Posts

sunshine
Earth Kingdom
Played By Shemhazai

Life's too short to live in maybes and might haves.

... well, a water tribesman thinking that way was probably sensible. Qing? She still thought the sea was pretty rude, and indffierence and rudeness weren't mutually exclusive. But, she didn't argue, instead just looked very amused at him. To be fair, he did have a point, but being rude didn't really require intent, in her opinion. It was possible to be rude without meaning to do so. Hmm, that was a strange internal debate she was getting into huh, you know what, she was letting that one go.

Actually, being fuzzy was probably going to be lots of fun. She wasn't terribly familiar with Water Tribe culture, anyway, so she was going to take this entire ordeal as a learning opportunity, rather than being upset about it. Or at least, she was going to try. She did get the strange feeling it was going to become upsetting eventually, if getting home proved to be a difficult thing.

Maybe she'd come back and visit later, though.

Oh. Right, most people didn't see spirits... "Riiight, I forgot about that," she said, and then he set her down, and he said that bit about not getting any closer somewhere amid her starting to. She blinked once, and then scooted back to where he'd set her down. "Right, that causes damage, I remember my grandmother saying that once." That was a long time ago.

She missed her grandparents. But, they probably knew. How far she'd come, how far the world had come, and how much things had changed for the better.

Water Tribe
Played By Lenara

She forgot about that? Well, either a lot of the Kyoshi warriors were spirit seers or Qing herself was more affected by the cold than he'd realized. Either one was possible, and maybe Faolan didn't necessarily need to worry about it at that exact moment. They'd see how she was once she started to warm up, and if there wasn't anything too particularly concerning there after that, then he would just brush it off.

Just as long as the bunny spirit was harmless, it wasn't like it mattered any.

"Mhm. Exactly." And accidentally causing damage that the cold hadn't already seemed like a really bad idea, at least to Faolan. Apparently to Qing too, since she heeded him as soon as she remembered that it was a bad idea, and stayed where she was.

"I'll be back in a moment with something you can change into." And then he'd figure out a spot for her to change. Probably one of the tents, and then she could come back out and sit by the fire. But staying in those clothes that were going to get wet as the ice melted seemed like a bad idea to Faolan. Let's not... risk any more issues from the cold than they already had.

Faolan slipped off then. It was probable that it'd be a little big on her, but they could work on a better fit later, when freezing to death or serious frostbite wasn't still on the table.

sunshine
Earth Kingdom
Played By Shemhazai

Well, currently, her frozen was frozen, and that didn't even make sense but it also made all the sense, and it meant she wasn't going anywhere at the moment. She still couldn't really feel her extremities, and that wasn't great for going anywhere. So, she just nodded. "Yokiedokie!" she said, rather cheerfully.

As it was, she was paying attention to whether she could feel her fingers or not, and deciding whether it was okay to move closer to the fire. The bunny spirit decided to stay with her, apparently, and Qing was quite happy to entertain it. Inevitably, all too happy, because she didn't really end up moving any closer to the warmth, but it was fine. She did eventually turn around in place, because her back was cold and the rest wasn't, and that was really just kind of rude.

In the interim, she was going to hang out with this bunny spirit. She couldn't really understand what it was saying, but it sure was chittering a lot, wasn't it? Maybe it was after her, and not Faolan. Ooooh. Well that explained a lot, didn't it? There usually was a spirit or two hanging around trying to talk to her.

Hey, maybe Heiyu could talk to spirits. ... probably not.

Water Tribe
Played By Lenara

He probably didn't have to worry about her wandering off at the moment at least, since the fire was a good way to warm up, and she was pretty much too cold to move. So... probably he hadn't needed to say that. Well, the words were already out, so there wasn't any real sense in quibbling about it now.

It took a few moments to find what he was looking for, but eventually, he found what he thought was an outfit that would fit Qing at least well enough for the moment.

When he returned, Qing seemed to be a bit warmer than she'd been when all this started and was quite clearly interacting with something that Faolan himself couldn't see. ... Probably the bunny spirit she'd mentioned seeing if he had to guess, if only because it made the most sense. Did... the cold make people hallucinate? Hm. He didn't think so, but it was possible.

... It was also probably technically possible that she really was seeing a spirit. She'd seem to immediately know that that's what it was, which lended some support to the idea, at least.

"When you're feeling up to it," Faolan began after a moment or two, "You can take these and go into that tent," He indicated one in particular, "to change." But she could take a few minutes to finish warming up if her fingers were still too frozen or so. She'd turned around at some point though, which seemed to him to indicate that she was starting to warm up at least a bit.

"Do you often have spirit friends?"

sunshine
Earth Kingdom
Played By Shemhazai

Unfortunately, the bunny spirit was chittering so fast, she could hardly figure out what it was talking about. Well, she supposed if it was important, the spirit could repeat it later. You know, when she could think straight. It was just nice to be getting warm, finally. She was starting to be able to kinda feel her fingers, at least. Starting to.

Ah, yep, yay she got to be furry! For a moment, she got a good look at the clothes he'd brought back and how they worked. "Hmm?" Oh! "Oh sure," Qing answered, giggling a bit. "Spirits are always around you know, and they can tell I can see them. It's sort of hard to pretend otherwise anyway. Some of them want something, some are just bored. I died a long time ago, when I was little, for a bit. And when I came back, I brought some of the spirit world with me, I guess." She shrugged one shoulder.

"S'what the fish saved me from. Now he won't leave me alone. Sometimes I'm not even sure the fish is alive, either." She supposed she'd find out, someday. Heiyu didn't really like strangers, at least. Well, now she was curious. Anyway. No sense dwelling on it now, it wasn't like Heiyu was here.

Instead, she decided to try standing. Unfortunately, she just immediately hit her butt, instead. "Oookay not quite." Yep, not quite ready for standing just yet. Okay. Instead, she turned back around to face the fire, mostly by scooting. It worked out better, and it was warmer. She was absolutely going to get a cold, wasn't she?

Water Tribe
Played By Lenara

Faolan nodded slightly along with her answer, considering it. So she'd nearly died when she was young, or had died very briefly, and it ended with her coming back able to see spirits. It was kind of interesting, and more than a little strange to think about. But it also made sense, if she'd started to slip into the spirit world then, it had left it's mark on her, clearly.

But she was still alive.

"That's a good question." Sort of mildly. "I guess for you it's gotten to be pretty normal to see them though." Apparently so much so she wasn't sure about the fish, and she just casually mentioned spirits to people she was speaking to. It wasn't such a bad thing though, maybe. Faolan wouldn't necessarily have imagined there were so many spirits around at any given time...

But then he'd never thought about it, either. So that was something.

"Oh, careful." Slightly concerned sounding, but she didn't seem to have hurt herself, just didn't make it onto her feet. Faolan moved closer to her and the fire then so that it was easier to continue their conversation while she waited to finish warming up enough to move better.

"So, the fish friend of yours has been around since you were little? Does it just hang around or...?" Sort of curious, because they apparently didn't know much about the fish, and if it was a spirit maybe it would come this far south, but also no one else but her would see it, so she may never know that until it was time to go back to the water.

sunshine
Earth Kingdom
Played By Shemhazai

"I'm all good," she said. "I didn't break anything!" That was fortunate. It also didn't feel like she'd hurt anything, but on the other hand, she could barely feel her limbs anyway, so maybe she'd have a bruise or two. That was fine, nobody really died from bruising. She was waiting for feeling in her fingers to come back. That way, she could figure out when she was most likely to be able to stand up and move.

"Yeah," Qing said. "It is pretty normal. Well, normal to me. Some people still think I'm crazy. They won't say it at least, but I can see it in their eyes. I'm used to that, too." Sometimes it looked like wariness, and sometimes it looked like pity. Other times it was a strange curiosity and confusion, and Qing was too much of an empath to be able to handle all those different emotions. Handling her own was hard enough.

She wondered which one he'd be. They all decided on one eventually.

"Something like that?" she said, tilting her head in thought. "I'm often the one going fishing, and he hangs around my fishing boat. ... well, I guess I'll have to rebuild the fishing boat... since they aren't made for sea storms... or sea travel... and it broke... but anyway, I started getting a scheduled time I go out there, and then some few minutes or so after I get there, Heiyu shows up. Sometimes I talk to him, but most of the time we're just around each other. I don't know where he goes when I go home," she added. "I've never had occasion to follow him."

That was okay. It was nice to have an interesting mystery.

Water Tribe
Played By Lenara

"That's good." He didn't think she'd fallen hard enough to do more than bruise herself, but it was still an unpleasant experience, Faolan knew. The ice was hard and somewhat unforgiving, and the ground generally was as well. So, they were waiting a little longer before she could change. That was okay, at least if she was close to the fire the worst of the wet would probably dry and she was warmer than she would have been otherwise.

It was a process. He hoped she didn't pick up anything worse than a cold, but given how long she may have been out there... they'd deal with it if it came.

"Well," Faolan shrugged slightly, "It's not every day you get someone who claims to be able to see spirits." It was rare, and most people didn't believe it, outside of people like the Avatar. Sure, everyone knew spirits existed but they didn't tend to think of them in an everyday sort of context. "It's a little strange," He admitted carefully, "But, maybe the spirits are trying to show themselves because the avatar was gone for so long that no one was listening to them."

It was a logical step, Faolan thought. He'd heard stories of what happened in the Earth Kingdom when a spirit ran rampant from being ignored too long from some of the warriors who'd heard it from one or the other of the Chief's children, Hakoda was sure. It made sense then that other spirits might have been upset about being ignored too.

That didn't mean it made it easier when people mentioned suddenly seeing spirits, but, anyway.

"Probably. May have to make it a bit differently to make it back to Kyoshi Island." But if anyone could help with that, it was probably them here at the Southern tribe. They'd made boats that let them travel to the Earth Kingdom proper before, after all. "I imagine it may be a bit hard to follow a fish home." Even if the fish wasn't a spirit.

sunshine
Earth Kingdom
Played By Shemhazai

Yeah, she knew that. It was just as confusing to her once, back when she didn't typically see spirits and then suddenly did. It wasn't like her parents had any advice, either. They had no idea what was going on any more than she did, and she just had to figure it out. She was used to having to figure things out for herself. There were a lot of things she ended up having to deal with that her parents didn't know how to really handle, and it was no fault of their own, it just was.

"I think so," Qing said. "It seems right at least. Most of them don't want to cause any trouble, they just have a problem that needs fixing or they're lonely, like I said. Can you imagine existing in a place where nobody can see or hear you? How sad." And apparently, she was one of the ones the spirit world was going to decide could see it, even if only that little bit.

It wasn't like it was completely unheard of an ability. It was just so rare nobody knew what to do with it when it did crop up. There weren't any guidebooks for this kind of thing.

Yeah, probably. She didn't think a little fishing dingy was going to cut it for getting home. Alternatively, the water trade routes were more active; she could just wait for a merchant ship to come this way. "You know, I wouldn't really know. I've never tried to follow a fish home," she said. "Have you?" That seemed like a strange hobby to have, but whatever made people happy.

She flexed her hands a little; fortunately, feeling was indeed getting back around, and it didn't seem like she was injuring herself worse along the way. That was good then. Maybe in another minute or two she could stand up.

Water Tribe
Played By Lenara

"When you put it that way, it does sound sad." But they could see and interact with each other, right? Maybe that wasn't enough in the end, when humans had once likely been closer to the spirits and more reverent of them. Never mind the war had probably caused all kinds of unforeseen issues with the Spirit World. And... without the Avatar, no one was working to fix them. This brought them to, apparently people like Qing could see spirits now.

Unfortunately just being able to see the spirits was unlikely to be enough to actually fix these sorts of issues. But maybe with enough practice, it wasn't so hard to figure out what they wanted.

Faolan snorted. "No, I can't say I have. The water's a bit cold around here." He could just assume that it was difficult to follow them home though since they lived in the water and humans could only remain submerged for a very short time before they had to come up for air. Fish weren't like that.

"Feeling starting to come back finally?" Just asking, though he was a little hopeful. The longer it stayed away the more likely it was that she was going to have some kind of permanent repercussions for her little swim near the ice. Faolan was hoping that she'd turn out to be okay, and maybe just have to worry about a little cold or something similar.

With any luck that would be the worst of it. This wasn't the sort of way the Southern tribe typically would like to welcome a guest but... it was what it was. "Once you get changed into something a bit warmer we can look into food, maybe." That would probably make her feel a bit better, and maybe help stave off the worst of what might happen.